Mission and Vision
All life and all communication involves flows of energy, matter and information, but it is the capacity to communicate through the use of print and digital media that defines the human species. The extent to which we communicate, learn, collaborate and coordinate our actions in a sustainable manner will determine the fate of humanity and the quality of life enjoyed by current and future generations.
ISC's mission is to raise awareness, build capacity and foster the widespread adoption of economically viable, environmentally restorative and socially constructive uses of print and digital media.
Our vision is to be recognized as leaders in the global transformation of media supply chains and communication practices that allow business, government and individuals to meet the needs of present generations without crossing irreversible thresholds that compromise the ability of future generations to do the same.
Our values characterize how we conduct ourselves in our drive for tangible, lasting results and are as indispensable to success as our unifying mission and vision.
We will meet the highest ethical and professional standards in all of our organizational endeavors and, in doing so, we hold ourselves accountable to our mission and to the public:
- Be accountable to each other, to our mission, to our donors, partners, and to the public
- Earn trust by being competent and following through on all of our commitments
- Full disclosure of any conflicts of interest.
Sustainable Communication success depends on the active involvement of people and partners whose lives and livelihoods are linked to the flows of energy, materials and human efforts that make human communication possible. We respect the needs, values and traditions of local communities and cultures, and we forge relationships based on mutual benefit and trust.
- Demonstrate respect by committing to local, on the ground involvement with people, communities and cultures, and with awareness and sensitivity to their economic realities
- Treat our partners and colleagues with fairness and honesty
- Work collaboratively with all sectors of society, including indigenous people, to develop practical conservation solutions.
We recognize that sustainable communication is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. We will strive to create an inclusive organization that reflects our character.
- Respect and be open to a variety of viewpoints and diversity of thought
- Work in an environment that encourages each of us to achieve our potential and values the contributions of all.
Our mission of raising awareness and capacity for sustainable use of communication media guides everything we do. We use the best available science, a creative spirit, and a non-confrontational approach to craft innovative solutions to complex communication problems at scales that matter and in ways that will endure.
- Develop, analyze and use the best available science, a science-based rigor, continuous improvement, and best practices to set priorities, make decisions, take action, and measure results
- Use a creative spirit and original thought in the pursuit of excellence
- Conduct our business in a fiscally responsible, environmentally restorative and socially constructive manner.
Sustainability is an issue that challenges all of us to learn, communicate and collaborate more effectively. In all that we do we seek to integrate and balance the economic, environmental and social outcomes of our actions through full cost accounting, systems thinking and stakeholder dialogue.